Saturday, August 23, 2014

The dies (dog) caniculares (days) of Summer

Ancient Romans associated the sultry heat of summer with the dog star SiriusSirius holds a prominent position in the constellations late July through late August.
Here in the Piedmont region, we are still in the grip of summer heat, but slowly the flora & fauna is beginning to suggest we're moving closer to the days of Autumn.
Today, I ran one of my favorite forest trails that begins behind the Botanical Gardens & winds up a ridge, and down into the bottomlands along Morgan Creek.
Almost overnight the hardwood forest floor has been carpeted by startling & magically colored mushrooms. I planned to run a good 10 miles, but quickly became distracted by pausing to examine and snap shots of mushrooms I could not readily identify.


The other-worldly fluorescent-tinged Hygrocybe punicea also known as the Scarlet Waxy Cap, was sprinkled along the forest floor adding a splash of color.



The Amanita flavoconia is highly toxic; its common name is Yellow Wart, and can be  found under hardwood trees particularly oaks. (This is a favorite trail for its generous hardwoods.)



The Amanita virosa/bisporigera also known as Destroying Angel or Death Angel, is just as ominous as it sounds. It's highly toxic. The stem of this mushroom looks like a palm tree's bark pattern - exquisite.


The Naematoloma fasiculare common name Sulfur Tuft is considered a fungus; also highly toxic if consumed. I think it looks a bit alien-like ensemble!



The Amanita caesarea commonly known as Caesar's mushroom is considered edible, but I'd think twice myself. The edges of the cap are delicately crimped like a beautiful fan.


I'm not sure, but this may be a Stropharia rugosannulata?



And more wax cap mushrooms, these are the yellow variety!


Another mystery mushroom - anyone know what this species is called? The stem texture and cap dots are fascinating...just not sure what I'm looking at!

I've saved my best shot for last! A Limenitis arthemis - Red-spotted Purple butterfly paused to drink nectar, and unfold her glorious wings; showing me how she fools would be predators with the power of illusion.


And along Morgan Creek's banks I found a brick outdoor oven, most likely indicative of a homestead since vanished or what could have been a mill along the banks of the waters. Possibly part of the Mason Farm bottomland bequeathed to UNC by the Mason family in 1894? Will be researching that!

No comments:

Post a Comment