Saturday, May 24, 2014

'Arachnids'


Lone Star Tick

I picked up an ectoparasite on today's run; this tick's distinctive white dot on the back classifies her as a female Lone Star Tick. 
Fortunately, the Lone Star is not considered a carrier of Lyme Disease; however, you can develop a rash (called STARI) from the Lone Star's bite which appears as a bull's eye rash similar to what one gets with a vector carrying Lyme Disease.
I found this cling-on behind my knee; already settling in for a nice warm meal. 
This is my first tick in a year. Considering all the trail running I do, that may sound impressive, but it's less about the fact I'm running in the woods constantly, and more about whether or not I'm running through tall grass or overgrown paths, and I did venture onto an OWASA path today that needed mowing and was brushing my calves.
Lesson learned!


No comments:

Post a Comment